Saturday, December 02, 2006

Won't Someone Telephone

V:I was working as a phone-man it was nearing Christmas time-When the people had phone trouble-it was me who fixed the line--V:And I called this one poor lady-when she answered me she cried-It was getting kind of late then-but she said I'm glad this time--C:Cause I've been alone-beside this phone-I've prayed that it would sound-There's not many who would call me -but it"s good that they can now-Cause I've been afraid-throughout the day-I wouldn't see tonight-I don't know if I can make it-and I'd like to say goodbye--V:As my heart crept up to my face-I tried hard to say I cared-but the words just seemed so no place-and I wished that I was there--V:Said she hoped she"d live through new years-so her folks would not be sad-I thought God please hold her so near-cause she's had it kind of bad-C:Cause she's been alone-beside this phone-She's prayed that it would sound-There's not many who would call her-but it's good that they can now--Cause she's been afraid-throughout the day-she wouldn't see tonight-She don't know if she can make it-and she'd like to say goodbye--V:And I wonder just how many-are there in the world tonight-who are waiting just for newyears-with a phone to make it right--V:Don't the sons all have their mothers-It ain't right to be alone-Doesn't anybody love her-please won't someone telephone--C:repeat last Chorus---Copyright1993Delbert Wright Allegood This song is based on a true story.This woman told me she had a heart operation two weeks prior and was not supposed to be alone,or out of bed.Her son lived less than two miles away and she said he wouldn't be visiting her the next day,on christmas day,because he had small children and needed to be with his family.She felt she was near death and only wished to delay her death until after new years,so as to not mar her relatives holidays.As a central office technician it was unethical for me to look up her address and go visit her.I called her again Christmas day and she sounded joyful even though she was in great pain-in several ways.I called her the following day and several days thereafter,but she never answered again.I don't think she made it to new years.This woman among many others,I know for sure,called dead numbers to hear the recorded voices when they were the most lonely.The holidays are the worst times of all for people who are lonely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Widgetize!